Thursday, March 6, 2014

Science and games

Today I am going to talk about something strange in science that relates to the gaming world. This thing I'm about to tell you is fictional and in a video game. So in the periodic table there is an element 115 which I believe is Ununpeniumt and this is radioactive and in the game "call of duty black ops" this element is used as the sort of main source for a zombie outbreak and I know this Is totally fictional and I just thought it was cool how they used an element and why they did it. The game is fun and it actually has a storyline and and while playing it, I just thought why would they use an element versus something like a disease. The story says that a version of this element became so powerful and radioactive it brought the dead back to life-ish. This isn't true but I realized that in one of the missions I entered a room and saw the element and a chart with the element and the negative sighn above it and I just thought I saw that in IPC. I can't remember what it looked like but it did remind me of one of my problems in IPC and it looked sort if like this: c-14 but with Ununpeniumt. Although it wasn't true, it got me going on how there is possible elements that we see everyday or are in front of us on the periodic table that have so much potential and we don't even know it. There are elements that we don't fully understand and those elements could be very beneficial to our society. For example, what if scientists transformed an element into a form of energy we could use for transportation. What if an element could counteract the rusting process and that would save money. In the game the element is radio active and I did a little research on how radioctivity affects the human body and what i found was cool. Radiation poisoning is very deadly, mainly for the fact that it has no cures as of yet. There is not any treatment to solve it and the survival rate depends on how much have they been exposed. Those who have been poisoned by a large dose of radiation will experience nausea, stomach sickness and a drop in blood pressure. The internal affects are worse, the brain is not very affected because the cells do not reproduce but the heart, and the thyroid related things are affected the most. The radiation will eliminate many small bloodstreams and cause seizures and sometimes instant death or shock. Some people manage to survive radiation poison and they are left in bad condition, the few that go back to work and those who don't have a MUCH higher risk for cancers of various types. The survival rate is about 50 percent though. Many elements in the periodic table are radioactive or have radioactive forms but a select few will actually harm you. But the elements that do require great care in dealing with them. 




http://www.atomicarchive.com/Effects/radeffects.shtml
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-radiation-poisoning.htm





2 comments:

  1. I play COD too! In college I played more Halo and I questioned if any of it could be true. Could suits really be made to deflect bullets like that? Could you genetically modify someone to become a superhuman like the Spartan soldiers? While I know it’s just some game designers crazy ideas, it would be amazing if we could duplicate some of that technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also play video games! I don't play Call of Duty as much as I used to but Black Ops is still one of my favorite games next to Battlefield 4 and Thief.

    ReplyDelete